This article preserves the desk’s published view at that time. Prices, market assumptions and trade status are historical statements, not current guidance or independently verified performance.
NZD/USD has been quietly bottoming for three weeks. The desk is patient on a long, waiting for the trigger.
The level
0.5950 has rejected price five times since late February. Each rejection has come with progressively smaller wicks. Price is compressing into the level, not pulling away from it. That's the structural setup we're watching.
The trigger
We want a 4H close above 0.5985 with conviction (volume above the 20-period average) AND a daily close above 0.5970. Both conditions, not either. We've taken too many "early" trades where we anticipated the trigger and got chopped.
The trade we'll take
Why the Kiwi is interesting now
RBNZ has gone from "we might cut" to "we're holding" in three meetings. NZ data has been better than expected on three of the last four prints. Rate differential narrative is shifting in NZD's favor — slowly.
The US side is also softening. If the dollar bleeds further on commodity-currency rotation (see the dollar's quiet rotation), NZD/USD is well-placed to follow.
What kills the setup
- A daily close back below 0.5945 — kills the structure outright
- A surprise dovish RBNZ — narrative reverses
- Sharp risk-off macro print — Kiwi sells with everything else
Until the trigger fires, we sit on our hands. The Kiwi has burned us with false breakouts before. We listen to the chart, we don't argue with it.
Educational only. Not investment advice. Read the full risk disclaimer.